Tuesday, October 04, 2005

In Memoriam

One of the most fascinating, groundbreaking and important figures in American theatre in the last century died on Sunday. Personally one of my favorites, August Wilson chronicled African American history through rich and compelling stories that resonated deep with who we were and who we are as a culture in this country. I remember when I saw my first play of his, "Two Trains Running", being so mesmerized and moved that I went out and just started reading everything I could find. My favorite of his that I've read so far is still "Joe Turner's Come and Gone". He will be sorely missed.

You can read more about this amazing man here and there's multitudes more info about him online, not to mention his body of work which consists of ten plays.

He will now claim his place in history alongside other great african american writers like James Baldwin and Langston Hughes (another 2 of my favorites, especially Baldwin).

He was 60 years old.

In "Joe Turners Come and Gone" one of the characters, Bynum, has this long monologue about a man with a light in him. It's an amazing monologue that I learned when I was in school and I'd like to think that maybe he saw that man when he left here. He was waiting there to lead him on to his next journey ...

"It's just around the corner, it is just around the block is love that I've been waiting 4, a love solid as rock, a love that re-affirms that we are not alone." - Prince, Still Would Stand All Time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home